Last week I posted about our gate issue and the DIY solution we had. We are pleased with the outcome and Steve and I agree this was the best and safest way to do it. I don’t “love” it, but it was the only non-tacky solution.

Let’s take a look back at our dilemma: the banister was not inline with the wall.

We bought a gate adapter for the banister so we could secure the gate and wouldn’t have to worry about drilling directly into the banister.

So, we purchased this deck post and picked up some varnish, to match it as best we could to the oak gloss on the existing banister. One coat was all it took, and Steve sanded it with some fine sandpaper after it dried.

Not bad. We picked up some 1/4 x 4″ lag bolts at Home Depot to secure the banister to the wall. Steve pre-drilled the holes and then secured the bolt into the 2 x 4 behind the wall, leaving us with this:

Steve is going to fill the holes and then cover the spots with varnish to finish it off. It’s now 100% safe and Maxton is 100% angry with the barricade.

The gate on the second floor will be a piece of cake because we only need an adapter for the banister (which we have) and the other side of the gate Steve will fasten to the wall.

Baby-proofing can be time-consuming and may not always look appealing from a design perspective, but it’s important to make your home a safe place for your little one(s).

The Climber

Maxton figured out climbing the stairs a few weeks ago, but it has now become an obsession. The second you move him away from the stairs, he’s already on his way back again. We let him crawl up a few times a day, but if he had his way he would do it all day long.

Obviously a gate is the solution; but, unfortunately putting up a gate isn’t that simple. The wall on one side of the stairwell is not in-line with the banister on the other.

Of course the builder wasn’t thinking about a baby gate when building the stairwell, but come on…

So we have gone back and worth on what to do. First we thought we could attach an adapter to the second banister in, and a piece of wood against the wall on the opposite side, but the smaller banister isn’t strong enough. Then we thought we would attach 2×4’s to the wall to bring it out to meet the banister, but it would take three 2×4’s before it would be flush, and that would look way too tacky. So, we settled on purchasing a four-inch post to attach to the wall, so it would look a little more balanced on either side.

Steve had them cut the post down to match the height of our existing banister. This is actually a deck post so it will require some sanding which is easy enough. The indoor posts were all over $80 and we weren’t willing to spend that. This post was $19.99 and the sales associate gave Steve another 13% off of it, just because.

We just have to pick up some lag bolts and then we will be all set. I am hoping it will look streamlined and your eye won’t be drawn to this additional post. This is the best solution we could find, and more importantly, the safest for our boy. Due to the fact we are planning on having more children, this had to be more permanent than temporary as this gate will be up for years to come.

We are hoping to have it all done this weekend, so check back next week for the reveal!

Open Wide and Say Aaagh


Last Wednesday, Maxton woke up from his nap with a fever. We went to see our family doctor late that afternoon when his fever spiked, even after Tylenol. His doctor said his throat looked a little pink, and to bring him back if he still had a fever after 48 hours. He was up most of the night, and by 5:30am the next morning, his fever was 39.2 celcius (102.5 farenheit) and he was refusing to nurse or drink water. Steve and I decided to take him to the ER. Can you believe we were in an out within 30min?!

The ER doctor took one look at Maxton’s throat and said he had a bad throat infection, and he had his first dose of antibiotics immediately. Thursday and Friday were his worst days. He refused to nurse for 23 hours – but we were able to get bites of cold pureed fruit in, here and there.  He refused to drink any water, so we ended up having to fill syringes and squirt it down his throat to keep him hydrated (it felt like we were torturing him). We ended up going back to a walk-in clinic Friday evening because he developed some spots in his mouth and inside his lip, and I was worried about Hand Foot and Mouth Disease. The doctor said it was not Hand Foot and Mouth, and he just had a really bad case of strep (which is very rare for babies to contract to begin with). I think at one point I told Steve (in the peak of my exhaustion) “I would rather go through another 22 hours of labour and a c-section, then watch him go through this pain.” A little extreme, I know; but, it was bad.

Today is day six of his antibiotics and he is 100% again. Eating, drinking, nursing and sleeping well, thankfully.

Then there is me. I am on day two of antibiotics. The stress, lack of sleep and my crappy immune system got the best of me. Today I am swallowing fireballs and little sharp pebbles. I can’t imagine what Maxton must have been thinking while going through the worst of it.

I’m just happy my baby boy is smiling again.

Canada Day (Belated Edition)

Happy belated Canada Day!

I hope you were all able to enjoy the beautiful long weekend. Spending time with my guys and the beautiful weather, kept me away from blogging; and I can’t apologize for that!

We spent Canada Day celebrating the festivities in Cobourg with some friends, and what a great day it was!

Someone was pretty tired at the end of it all.