I’m home with my sick little guy, today, and am fighting something myself. It seems that he goes about two weeks in between some kind of (daycare) sickness. Two weeks ago it was diarrhea, two weeks before that, vomitting, two weeks before that, a bad cough/cold that required puffers. Everyone says the first year at daycare is the worst, and we are only three months in…
Hopefully we are all healthy for Easter, which is coming up this weekend. I thought I would share a delicious dessert perfect for Easter dinner.
Banana Cream Pie
- 1-1/2 cups graham wafer crumbs 1-1/2 1-1/2cups cups(375 mL) (375 mL) graham wafer crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter , melted1/3 1/3cup cup(75 mL) (75 mL) butter, melted
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate , melted2 2oz oz(57 g) (57 g) semisweet chocolate, melted
- 4 egg yolks 4 4egg yolkegg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1/2 1/2cup cup(125 mL) (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch 1/3 1/3cup cup(75 mL) (75 mL) cornstarch
- 3 cups milk 3 3cups cups(750 mL) (750 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp butter 2 2tbsp tbsp(30 mL) (30 mL) butter
- 1 tsp vanilla 1 1tsp tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 small bananas , sliced2 2small bananabananas, sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream 1 1cup cup(250 mL) (250 mL) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp semisweet chocolate , grated2 2tbsp tbsp(30 mL) (30 mL) semisweet chocolate, grated (optional)
Filling: In bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the milk; set aside.
In heavy saucepan, heat remaining milk over medium heat until bubbles form around edge; whisk into yolk mixture. Return to pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until thick enough to mound on spoon, about 5 minutes. Stir in butter and vanilla. Scrape into bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate just until cooled, about 2 hours.
In bowl, stir graham wafer crumbs with butter until moistened; press onto bottom and up side of 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
Drizzle melted chocolate over bottom of crust; spread evenly with back of spoon. Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes. Without stirring custard, spoon half over chocolate. Arrange banana slices over top, overlapping slightly. Top with remaining custard. Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 12 hours.)
Garnish: In bowl, whip cream. Using piping bag or with spatula, pipe into rosettes or spread to cover top. Sprinkle with grated chocolate. (Make-ahead: Insert 6 toothpicks into pie; drape plastic wrap loosely over top and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.)
Canadian Living, 2004