Mocha was the worlds best dog.
She passed away at home early this afternoon, with my mom by her side. She was due to be put down tomorrow morning, as she became very ill this past week, but she passed on her own, which is the way it should be.
Mocha joined our family in March of 2000, at 8 weeks old. She was a little black furball with mocha highlights (hence the name), and was the cutest little shih-poo I had ever lain eyes on. She fit right into our family and we forgot what life was like before her.
Loyal, is not a strong enough word to describe her. If you were upset, she was there. If you were feeling sick, she was there. If you were over the moon with happiness, she was there, jumping at your side. She was the perfect dog.
She loved to cuddle, and when she slept with you, you could count on only 5% of the bed, as she reserved the other 95%. She was always at your feet while you cooked, or ate, waiting for a crumb or large chunk of cheese to fall from the counter. She barked whenever the doorbell rang, or when an unfamiliar face came over – she was as cute as a teddy bear, but tried desperately to fill the role of “guard dog”. Whenever you came into the house (whether you were gone five minutes, or the whole day), she would bring something to you – her bone, her toy, a sock; her tail wagging, as she whined with excitement. I will miss that greeting, when I walk into my mom’s house.
When I moved out, she stayed with my mom and sisters, but I still considered her to be my dog. She was a member of the family, and always will be. It’s hard to imagine what Christmas morning will be like without her – circling our feet, waiting for us to open all the treats in her stocking. Maxton won’t remember her, he will only have the pictures I took of them together.
I’ll miss chasing her around the house, watching her forfeit the race under the dining room table. To this day, I think she believed we couldn’t see her while she hid there.
Mocha, you will always be my puppy, and will always hold a special place in my heart. I love you wuvvy and miss you so much already, rest in peace. xo
January 24, 2000 – October 24, 2012